Amazon Handmade: Your Path to Artisan Success
If you’re an artist or a crafter with a penchant for handmade goods, Amazon Handmade is your ticket to a vast audience and a thriving business. We’re here to guide you through this creative journey, exploring the nuances of Amazon Handmade, its pros and cons, and even a comparison with Etsy. Let’s dive into the world of artisan entrepreneurship.
- 1 What is Amazon Handmade?
- 2 What’s the Difference Between Amazon and Amazon Handmade?
- 3 Pros and Cons of Amazon Handmade
- 4 Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy
- 5 15 Popular Handmade Items You Can Sell On Amazon
- 6 How to Sell on Amazon Handmade?
What is Amazon Handmade?
Amazon Handmade isn’t just a marketplace; it’s a community tailored for artisans worldwide. Here, you can showcase your unique, handcrafted products to a global audience, connecting with crafters, artists, and DIY-ers from all corners of the world. It’s Amazon’s way of bringing its trusted and friendly shopping experience to the realm of handmade goods.
Crafting the Artisan Dream
The heart of Amazon Handmade lies in the authenticity of your creations. Everything you sell here must be genuinely handmade, hand-assembled, or hand-altered. Moreover, you can’t just set up shop; you need an invitation from Amazon to get started. Mass-produced items don’t find a home here.
What’s the Difference Between Amazon and Amazon Handmade?
You might think of Amazon Handmade as a separate marketplace, but it’s nestled within Amazon’s broader ecosystem, much like other categories. This means your handmade treasures share the same digital shelves as any other product on Amazon. But there’s more to it when you dig deeper.
Searching within the Handmade category leads to results exclusively from that category or its subcategories. It’s a distinctive space, yet still a part of the Amazon family.
Pros and Cons of Amazon Handmade
Amazon Handmade might be a perfect fit or not, depending on your business goals. Let’s weigh the pros and cons to help you decide.
- Higher Profits: Amazon Handmade sellers enjoy impressive profit margins, often surpassing 25%.
- Commendable Affordability: With a 15% fee per sale and no listing fees, you’ll have a clear view of your costs.
- Massive Reach: Amazon’s extensive reach ensures quick access to potential customers.
- Seamless Fulfillment: Amazon can handle order fulfillment for you, or you can choose to do it yourself.
- No Expiry Date: Your listings on Amazon Handmade never expire, and you don’t need UPC codes to sell your handmade products.
- Limited Customer Engagement: You won’t have access to customer data, making it challenging to build an email list.
- Delayed Payments: Although you mark orders as shipped, you may have to wait for the funds to arrive.
- User-Unfriendly Dashboard: The seller central interface can be less intuitive compared to other platforms.
- Slow Application Process: Amazon takes time to ensure your products are genuinely handmade, which can delay your entry by up to two weeks.
- Limited Scope: You can choose from only 14 categories on Amazon Handmade, which may be restricting.
Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy
Etsy was the go-to marketplace for handmade goods until Amazon Handmade arrived. These two giants share a common purpose but have distinct characteristics.
Products: Crafting Definitions
Etsy’s definition of handmade allows for collaboration with manufacturing partners, while Amazon Handmade insists on a strict “made by hand” approach.
Etsy offers a visually curated shopping experience with guides and easy store location through custom URLs. Amazon Handmade focuses on curated collections and category-based searches.
Shipping and Fulfillment: Meeting Customer Expectations
Etsy offers competitive shipping options, allowing customers to filter by shipping times. Amazon Handmade takes it a step further with Amazon Prime, guaranteeing fast delivery.
Payment: Diverse Options
Etsy provides various payment methods, including gift cards, PayPal, and more. Amazon Handmade mirrors the regular Amazon payment system.
Both platforms share a similar range of product categories, from jewelry to home and living.
15 Popular Handmade Items You Can Sell On Amazon
If you want to excel on Amazon Handmade, you need to focus on what sells best. Here are 15 popular handcrafted products that can elevate your artisan shop:
- Pet Toys
- Wooden Toys
- Hair Accessories
How to Sell on Amazon Handmade?
Ready to begin your journey as an Amazon Handmade seller? Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Register to Sell on Amazon Handmade: Start by accepting Amazon’s invitation to become a Handmade seller. You’ll receive an email with instructions to set up your seller account.
- Create Your Artisan Profile: Once registered, customize your unique URL to build your Handmade store.
With these steps, you’re on your way to showcasing your handmade creations to the world and joining a vibrant community of artisans. Best of luck on your Amazon Handmade journey!