- 1 Alibaba vs AliExpress: The Battle of Giants
Alibaba vs AliExpress: The Battle of Giants
Chinese suppliers are a cost-effective way of getting products for your eCommerce store. Among all, the world’s largest eCommerce store is Alibaba. Whereas the largest online marketplace globally is AliExpress. In this article, we shall compare alibaba and Aliexpress for you.
Who owns Aliexpress & Alibaba?
China’s Alibaba Group owns both AliExpress and Alibaba. The company’s headquarters are in Hangzhou. Jack Ma, better known as Ma Yun, was the Chief Executive (now retired). The Alibaba Group owns the big online marketplaces Alibaba and AliExpress. Using both marketplaces saves you time in finding reliable suppliers and best selling products on Alibaba.
Alibaba.com and AliExpress are the same?
Both Alibaba and AliExpress are part of the same company. They operate online marketplaces, but each serves different purposes for different audiences. Aliexpress operates on a B2C model, while Alibaba operates on a B2B model. Knowing their uniqueness allows you to know which is the best bet.
Alibaba vs AliExpress: The Similarities
AliExpress and Alibaba are similar in many ways. Here are a few of the similarities:
- The Alibaba Group owns both platforms, both companies operate as sister companies.
- Each platform provides affordable rates for its products.
- They both support their payment method. You can choose a payment method like bank transfers, credit cards, and AliPay.
- They offer easy-to-use interfaces, and the entire purchasing process is very easy, just a few clicks you can buy products from China.
- Each platform offers buyer protection services.
- These two platforms have user-friendly interfaces, offering thousands of products.
- Both of them allow free account registration.
Alibaba vs AliExpress: Main Differences
Let’s examine AliExpress and Alibaba’s core differences in detail:
- Quantity Differences: On Alibaba wholesale site, the Alibaba sellers sell wholesale goods. These independent sellers also have a considerable minimum order quantity. Alibaba is a B2B site with a GIANT STRUCTURE, quite different from Aliexpress with smaller quantities.
- Payments Differences: Alibaba does not make payment processes. It does not take on any financial responsibilities for customer-supplier transactions. On AliExpress, you can get the certification of a transaction with Paypal.
- Differences in Pricing: Prices like wholesale prices or retail prices fluctuate. A supplier sets prices based on size, quality, and quantity. In contrast, an AliExpress supplier offers fixed prices higher than Alibaba.
- Customization Differences: On Alibaba, suppliers produce their quality products according to your requirements. This means an Alibaba supplier can custom products by adding a logo. They can change its appearance or create a new item based on your specifications.
- Certification Differences: For cosmetics and electronics products sold in the EU, certification is required. Alibaba allows you to contact supplier directly and ask for certified goods.
- Timing Differences: Alibaba is a marketplace to order quality products from suppliers who manufacture. The products that AliExpress offers are already manufactured.
- Shipping Costs & Time Differences: The average time taken by Alibaba freight is 60 days, which is two months altogether. AliExpress’s ePacket services offer free shipping service through AliExpress shipping.
- Fulfillment Method Differences: Alibaba provides the most comprehensive range of order fulfillment services. In contrast, an AliExpress supplier fulfills orders from factories.
- Minimum Order Quantity Differences: There is a minimum amount you must buy to place an order. Alibaba often requires a specific number of products. In contrast, you can purchase a single item from AliExpress at the end consumer prices.
- Customer Service Differences: Alibaba’s business customers like woo-commerce store owners buy directly from suppliers. While AliExpress customer service offers a live chat option on its online store.
- Customer Reviews Differences: Alibaba is not free of scam businesses, but it is possible to get a gold supplier. AliExpress has received mixed reviews about its dropshipping suppliers.
- Custom Products & Private Label Products: Alibaba allows you to buy private label and custom products directly from manufacturers. Whereas with AliExpress, you can only buy premade items without customization.
Comparison of Alibaba and Aliexpress for dropshipping
You can dropship unlimited quantities and types of products in AliExpress. While Alibaba only allows bulk buying. Let’s learn more:
- Dropshipping on Alibaba: Most suppliers on Alibaba only sell in bulk to manufacturers, resellers, or trading companies.
- Dropshipping on AliExpress: The best dropshipping online store is AliExpress which offers AliExpress dropshipping services.
Advantages of Alibaba and AliExpress
- Alibaba: Why You Should Choose It?
- AliExpress: Why You Should Choose It?
- Great for dropshipping with no need to buy in bulk.
- Easy fulfillment and cost-saving options.
- Suitable for selling single products without minimum order quantities.
- Faster shipping times compared to Alibaba.
FAQs on Alibaba and AliExpress
- Which is easier to use, Alibaba or Aliexpress? – Both interfaces have a product search bar and integration with the eCommerce platform.
- Alibaba and AliExpress: How are wholesale buyers protected? – Alibaba buyers have limited protection, but you can request returns and protect your purchases.
- Alibaba and AliExpress: What does the shipping costs? – The shipping rates via Alibaba depend on several factors.
- Why is Alibaba so cheap? – The minimum order quantities of products cause a pricing difference between the two platforms.
Final thoughts on Alibaba vs AliExpress: The product sourcing strategy of a retail or eCommerce business is an essential element. Alibaba and AliExpress provide low startup costs access to millions of suppliers. Alibaba is a great dropshipping platform with many dropshipping suppliers. Users can integrate Alibaba dropshipping plugins into the retail site easily. AliExpress also makes it easy to buy at wholesale pricing while importing products. Neither retailer nor eCommerce business can match the wholesale rates Alibaba offers. It also doesn’t need your business license to register a seller account on Alibaba. The manufacturer can design and build products specifically for you. Alibaba doesn’t charge users, and its Alibaba Trade Assurance program protects buyers. You can choose the eCommerce platform that best fits your needs. You can also take a look at their feedback for response time and reviews by other buyers. Some eCommerce owners begin their dropshipping enterprise with AliExpress until they’ve built up enough sales volume to switch to bulk order on Alibaba. If you want to start your dropshipping business and retain customers, you can contact us. We’ll help you find suppliers of good products at a competitive price.